Your premature baby
The NICU experience
Listed below are books and Web resources that help parents learn about parenting their premature baby in the NICU.
- March of Dimes Share Your Story
An online community that serves NICU families. Share your story, participate in online discussions, meet other NICU families.
- Evan Early, by Rebecca Hogue Wojahn. (Woodbine House, 2006). (children's book)
- Infants in the NICU: A Developmental Care Guide for Families, by Dana Fern and Christy Graves (Respironics, 1996).
- Newborn Intensive Care: What Every Parent Needs to Know, by Jeanette Zaichkin (NICU Ink, 1996).
- Preemies: The Essential Guide for Parents of Premature Babies, by Dana Wechsler Linden, Emma Trenti Paroli, and Mia Wechsler Doron, M.D. (Pocket Books, 2000).
- Parenting Your Premature Baby and Child: The Emotional Journey, by Deborah L. Davis, Ph.D., and Mara Tesler Stein, Psy.D. (Fulcrum Publishing, 2004).
- The Preemie Parents' Companion: The Essential Guide to Caring for Your Premature Baby in the Hospital, at Home and Through the First Year, by Susan L. Madden, William Sears, M.D., and Jane E. Stewart, M.D. (Harvard Common Press, 2000).
How old is my baby?
- Age can be based on the baby’s birthday.
- Age can be based on the baby’s due date.
- Development time is unique to each baby.
Common questions How do I calculate adjusted age for preemies?