2011 Nurse of the Year
Danielle Prenevost, March of Dimes, (612) 326-9444, firstname.lastname@example.org
March of Dimes honors nurses in 15 categoriesMinneapolis, MN, October 08, 2011
Known for her dedication to caring for children and their families, March of Dimes names Sarah Gutknecht the 2011 Distinguished Nurse of the Year. Gutknecht is a pediatric nurse practioner who cares for children with special needs at Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare and Shriners Hospital for Children- Twin Cities. In addition, Gutknecht has cared for children around the world through her volunteer work in patient care, teaching and leadership positions.
“She approaches sainthood status with me in terms of the frequent and amazing work she does abroad in countries from Haiti to Vietnam,” said colleague Patrick Rivard in his nomination of Gutknecht. “Her colleagues here at Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare respect and revere her contributions to children, family, colleagues and our profession.”
March of Dimes celebrated Nurse of the Year winners in 14 additional categories at a dinner and awards program Saturday, October 8, 2011 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Minneapolis. The honorees’ leadership and contributions have made a significant impact on their community and to the profession of nursing.
Additional winners include:
- Advanced Practice Barbara St. Marie, Fairview Ridges
- Care Management Karen Wendt, University of Minnesota Amplatz Children’s Hospital
- Community Service & Public Health Karie Pearce, Hennepin County Medical Center
- Education & Research Marjorie A. Schaffer, Bethel University
- Leadership Dawn Bazarko, UnitedHealth Group
- Long Term & Rehabilitation Care Lynette Froehlich, Glencoe Regional Health Services
- Neonatal Marla Mills, University of Minnesota Amplatz Children’s Hospital
- Pediatric Gail Busch, Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare
- Rising Star Jennifer Esser, Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare
- Rural Health Jennifer Strickland, Lakewood Health System
- School Nurse Debrah Vander Kooi, Luverne Public Schools
- Staff Nurse - Critical Care Carol Mager, Fairview Southdale
- Staff Nurse - General Care Patricia L. Theisen, St. Cloud Hospital
- Women's Health Sarah Hallman, St. Francis Hospital
- Distinguished Nurse of the Year Sarah Gutknecht, Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare and Shriners Hospital for Children -Twin Cities
Nominations were submitted by patients, their families and health care professionals statewide. Nurse of the Year Awards benefit the March of Dimes mission to improve the health of babies by preventing birth defects, premature birth and infant mortality.
This second annual event raised $76,000 for the mission of the March of Dimes. Nurse of the Year is sponsored by Allina Hospitals & Clinics, Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota, Cigna, Fairview Health Services, Essentia Health, Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare, HealthPartners/Regions Hospital, Hennepin County Medical Center, Maple Grove Hospital, North Memorial, and St. Cloud Hospital.
he next Nurse of the Year Awards will be held October 27, 2012 at the Hyatt Regency in Downtown Minneapolis. Nominations will be accepted in the spring of 2012.
The March of Dimes is the leading nonprofit organization for pregnancy and baby health. With chapters nationwide and its premier event, March for Babies, the March of Dimes works to improve the health of babies by preventing birth defects, premature birth and infant mortality. For the latest resources and information, visit marchofdimes.com or nacersano.org. Find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.