Get ready for pregnancy
9 Questions to help you get your 9 months
Talking to your health care provider
Before getting pregnant, ask your health provider these 9 questions.
What do I need to know about:
- Diabetes, high blood pressure, infections or other health problems?
- Medicines or home remedies?
- Taking a multivitamin pill with folic acid in it each day?
- Getting to a healthy weight before pregnancy?
- Smoking, drinking alcohol and taking illegal drugs?
- Unsafe chemicals or other things I should stay away from at home or at work?
- Taking care of myself and lowering my stress?
- How long to wait between pregnancies? (Ask your health care provider what's best for you.)
- My family history, including premature birth? Premature birth is when your baby is born too early, before 37 completed weeks of pregnancy.
Special thanks to the celebrities Thalia and Heather Headley for helping the March of Dimes tell women about these 9 important questions.
Last reviewed July 2009