Resource Library: Preterm Labor Assessment Toolkit
The California Chapter of the March of Dimes, in partnership with Sutter Medical Center Sacramento, has created the evidence-based Preterm Labor Assessment Toolkit. This toolkit has been endorsed by California District IX of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and by the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine.
The objective of the toolkit is to standardize the assessment and diagnosis of preterm labor among health care professionals to allow for:
- A uniform diagnosis of preterm labor
- Timely interventions
- Proper transport of patients at greatest risk for preterm delivery
- A decrease in unnecessary hospitalizations and treatments
- Improved allocation of scarce nursing/hospital resources
- Increased maternal-fetal safety
This toolkit provides guidance for the assessment and triage of women with suspected preterm labor, but it does not dictate treatment. The March of Dimes urges health care professionals to compare current practices for assessing women with the evidence-based guidelines offered in this toolkit.
The March of Dimes hopes that health care professionals, hospitals, and birthing centers across the United States will join our chapters in establishing standard protocols to minimize premature delivery and to optimize outcomes when preterm labor does occur.
If your hospital or birthing center would like to adopt the standards contained in the toolkit, please consider working with your March of Dimes chapter. To find your local chapter, visit our directory.
CONTENT OF THE TOOLKIT
The toolkit files are provided in pdf and PowerPoint (ppt) formats. To access the files, click on the links below.
- Letter from Dr. Jennifer Howse, President, March of Dimes, pdf, 115 kb
- Cover, pdf, 55 kb
- Letter of Endorsement, Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, pdf, 544 kb
- Letter of Endorsement, California District IX, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, pdf, 50 kb
- Acknowledgments, pdf, 13 kb
- Foreword, pdf, 11 kb
This Preterm Labor Assessment Toolkit is provided for educational, non-commercial use only.
You may use the documents and slides for educational, non-commercial purposes.
The information may not be altered in any way.
The March of Dimes assumes no responsibility for the content of altered information.
Preterm Labor Assessment Survey, pdf, 16 kb
- Care of Women Presenting with Symptoms of Preterm Labor, pdf, 158 kb
- Preterm Labor Home Care Instructions, pdf, 26 kb
- Preterm Labor Patient Education, pdf, 27 kb
- Procedures, pdf, 146 kb
- Competencies, pdf, 45 kb
- Reference List, pdf, 14 kb
OTHER MARCH OF DIMES RESOURCES
Visit March of Dimes online resources and products on preterm labor and birth:
- Our online catalog to learn about our educational materials for patients.
- Share Your Story, where NICU families connect and participate in online discussions.
- The Compendium on Preterm Birth, a self-study curriculum that presents the epidemiological, medical and economic impact of preterm birth and that describes how to assess and address risk-associated behavior. Free CMEs and contact hours.
- Preterm Labor: Prevention and Nursing Management, 3rd edition, a continuing education module for nurses. Available in print and online.
- Late Preterm Brain Development Card, a teaching tool for women that illustrates the differences in brain development at 35 and 40 weeks of pregnancy. Go to our online catalog for more information.