Dad: Once your baby is home
Most couples are anxious and concerned right after they take the baby home. It takes about six weeks for most couples to feel better about having a baby. Here are things you can do:
- Hug your partner a lot. Tell her she's doing a great job.
- Be patient with the baby and with your partner. This is new for all three of you and takes some getting used to.
- Ask friends and family members for help with cleaning up, grocery shopping and meals. This is not the time to be shy about asking for help. Everyone needs help with a new baby!
- Try to rest whenever you can.
- Help out with the baby during feeding time. If mom is breastfeeding, you can bring her the baby. Help them get comfortable.
- Help with other jobs too: change diapers, give baths, rock the baby, cuddle the baby, read to the baby and sing the baby to sleep. Most babies love to sleep on their dad's chest.