Troy Ruhanen Named Chair of 2012 March for Babies
Elizabeth Lynch, 914-997-4286, firstname.lastname@example.org
Todd Dezen, 914-997-4608, email@example.com
Sen. Richard Lugar, Ambassador Ron Kirk, Dr. Francis Collins to Receive Awards
WASHINGTON, D.C., OCT. 20, 2011 — Troy Ruhanen, Chairman and CEO of BBDO, the Americas and a member of the Advertising Hall of Achievement, will be named national chair of the March of Dimes 2012 March for Babies at a ceremony here tonight. Mr. Ruhanen says he will generate a minimum of one million dollars in new revenue for the event, which supports research and other programs to give babies a healthy start in life.
“I’m honored to be asked to serve in this role,” says Mr. Ruhanen, a member of the March of Dimes Board of Trustees. “My wife and I have four healthy children and we’re grateful for the superb work that the March of Dimes has done to benefit our family and many other families. I’m focused now on bringing people together to work for stronger, healthier babies in across America and around the world.”
Notable political leaders, scientists, and physicians will receive awards at the event, including:
• Senator Richard Lugar (R-IN) and Ambassador Ron Kirk will each receive the Lifetime Achievement in Public Affairs Award.
• Dr. Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health, will receive the Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR) Leadership Award for his leadership in genetic research.
• Dr. David K. Stevenson will receive the Jonas Salk Award for Leadership in Prematurity Prevention for his lifetime of leadership in pediatric health.
Two major corporations will be honored for their contributions to the health of mothers and babies:
• Ed Crenshaw, CEO of Publix, will accept the Chairman’s Volunteer Leadership Award.
• Holly Thomas, Vice President of Media Relations and Cause Marketing, will accept the President’s Volunteer Leadership Award to Macy’s.
The March of Dimes is the leading nonprofit organization for pregnancy and baby health. With chapters nationwide and its premier event, March for Babies®, the March of Dimes works to improve the health of babies by preventing birth defects, premature birth and infant mortality. For the latest resources and information, visit marchofdimes.com or nacersano.org. Find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.