Next Steps and Tools for your PRAYERS FOR PREEMIES Campaign this November
Your Town, Virginia, October 01, 2013
This November, the March of Dimes is calling on its Volunteers and Friends to help make everyone aware of the significant medical crisis of premature birth.
One facet of November's Prematurity Awareness Month is a new campaign aimed at Houses of Worship. The campaign is called
PRAYERS FOR PREEMIES.
To assist volunteers, we've created a list of NEXT STEPS, with links to helpful TOOLS.
Here are YOUR NEXT STEPS to make your PRAYERS FOR PREEMIES campaign a SUCCESS:
1. GET APPROVAL –
- Use TOOL# 1 – Proposal Letter TEMPLATE to approach your house of worship’s leader(s). This Word Doc may be edited as you please.
- Don’t be afraid to show your PASSION for our mission! If you have a personal mission story, please tell that story in brief and even include a photograph of your family or loved one.
2. GET EDUCATED –
- Read about the March of Dimes’ Prematurity Campaign by visiting www.marchofdimes.com/mission/prematurity-campaign There you will find facts about the economic, societal & emotional toll of premature birth; discover what is known about prematurity; learn what The March of Dimes is doing about this major health issue; see updates on current research and initiatives; and find out more about World Prematurity Day events across the globe.
- Also, if you, or someone you know, is African-American, please read TOOL# 2 – What every African-American should know, which discusses the disproportionate number of premature African-American babies born premature.
3. GET INVOLVED –
Decide how small or how large you want your campaign. Review TOOL# 3 – Ideas for Your Campaign and plan carefully. Recruit any necessary volunteers. Some ideas for your involvement are:
- Work as an usher that day.
- Set up a Table Display about Prematurity (contact March of Dimes for materials to use).
- Involve youth (or other group) by asking them to hold an Enhancement Event such as a pre-service breakfast (“Pancakes for Preemies”); or a post-service luncheon (“Potluck for Preemies”).
4. GET THE WORD OUT –
- Once the campaign is approved & organized, talk about it in your religious education classes (IE: Sunday School), in your clubs and with those you share a pew.
- Contact your house of worship’s secretary to put “Preemie Day” on the calendar; and to send him/her:
5. GET CREDIT – If your House of Faith approves any kind of fundraising during the campaign, you may receive credit for those funds towards your 2013 March for Babies Walk Team. You must, however, let the March of Dimes know you will be participating by contacting your local staff partner. Then, by Dec. 13, submit funds raised through the Virginia March of Dimes office via check or cash, and we will credit your March for Babies team!
Need more details? Contact your local March of Dimes Staff Partner, via the Virginia Chapter office, 804/ 968.4120;
or contact Betsy Rhodes via firstname.lastname@example.org